- 2010, Professional Achievement Award, Chinese Professional Association
- 2010, Fairchild Television Outstanding Profile Award,
for contributions to its national TV program.
- 2007, Merit Award, Federation of Chinese Canadian Professionals,
which is given to one Chinese professional per year
selected in all disciplines across Canada.
- 2006, Fellow of Royal Society of Canada.
- 2004-2018, Canada Research Chair, Tier I. This is
an honor given to 1000 academics in Canada by the federal
- 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 Dean's Excellence Award, Faculty of Arts and Science, University of Toronto.
- 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013 Dean's Small Group Award, Faculty of Arts and Science, University
- 2001, Earth Sciences Sector Merit Award (for outstanding
contributions to technology transfer), Department
of Natural Resources, Canada.
- 2001, Ontario Premiere's Research Excellence Award.
- 2000, Alouette Award. The award is named after the
first Canadian satellite and is one of the highest honors
of Canadian Aeronautic and Space Institute given to various
disciplines including space technology and science, earth
observation, aviation and aerodynamics.
- 1998, Earth Sciences Sector Merit Award (for outstanding
contributions to science), Department of Natural Resources,
- 1999, Canadian International Development Agency Award for
contributions to international forestry.
- 1999, Certificate of Best Practices Forum of Earth
Sciences Sector, Natural Resources Canada, for giving an
effective public lecture on the progress in remote sensing
- 1988, Outstanding Publication Award, Beijing Institute
of Geography, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- 1984-1985, 1985-1986, British Council Overseas Research Student Award
- 1983-1986, Overseas Graduate Scholarship Award, Chinese Ministry
of Education. It was obtained through a nation-wide
open competition with a selection rate of about 1/60.
- 1982, Best Student Award, Nanjing Institute of Meteorology.