- 2017, Award of Scholarly Distinction in Geography, Canadian
Association of Geographers.
- 2010, Specially appointed expert of the "One Thousand
Talents" program of the Chinese Government
- 2010, Professional Achievement Award, Chinese Professional
Association of Canada.
- 2010, Fairchild Television Outstanding Profile Award,
for contributions to its national TV program.
- 2007, Merit Award, Federation of Chinese Canadian Professionals,
which is given to one Chinese professional per year selected
in all disciplines across Canada.
- 2006, Fellow of Royal Society of Canada.
- 2004-2018, Canada Research Chair, Tier I. This is an honor
given to 1000 academics in Canada by the federal government.
- 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013,
2014 Dean's Excellence Award, Faculty of Arts and Science,
University of Toronto.
- 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013 Dean's
Small Group Award, Faculty of Arts and Science, University
- 2001, Earth Sciences Sector Merit Award (for outstanding
contributions to technology transfer), Department of Natural
- 2001, Ontario Premiere's Research Excellence Award.
- 2000, Alouette Award. The award is named after the first
Canadian satellite and is one of the highest honors of Canadian
Aeronautic and Space Institute given to various disciplines
including space technology and science, earth observation,
aviation and aerodynamics.
- 1998, Earth Sciences Sector Merit Award (for outstanding
contributions to science), Department of Natural Resources,
- 1999, Canadian International Development Agency Award
for contributions to international forestry.
- 1999, Certificate of Best Practices Forum of Earth Sciences
Sector, Natural Resources Canada, for giving an effective
public lecture on the progress in remote sensing science.
- 1988, Outstanding Publication Award, Beijing Institute
of Geography, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- 1984-1985, 1985-1986, British Council Overseas Research
Student Award .
- 1983-1986, Overseas Graduate Scholarship Award, Chinese
Ministry of Education. It was obtained through a nation-wide
open competition with a selection rate of about 1/60.
- 1982, Best Student Award, Nanjing Institute of Meteorology.