Undergraduate Courses Taught
- Environmental Remote Sensing (GGR 337H), 2001-2017, U
- Geographical Information Systems (GGR 462H), 2001-2005, U of T.
- Introduction to Hydrology (GGR 206H), 2001-2016, 2018-2021, U of
- Field Methods in Physical Geography (GGR390H), 2015-2020, U of T.
- Watershed Hydroecology (GGR 413H), 2006-2012, 2017 U of
- Directed Reading (GGR 498H), 2004, 2010, 2015 U of T.
Graduate Courses Taught
- Watershed hydroecology (GGR 1215H), 2012, 2017 U of T.
- Environmental Remote Sensing (GGR 1911H), 2001-2017,
U of T.
- Geographical Information Systems (JPG1914H), 2001-2005, U of T.
- Reading in Selected Topics (GGR 2149H), 2003-2004, 2006-2009,
2014-15, 2019, U of T.
- Remote Sensing of Vegetation Structure, 2005, Nanjing University
Current graduate students
- Cheryl Rogers, Ph.D., Productivity assessment through PRI and SIF, Sept. 2016-, Primary supervisor.
- Yihong Liu, Ph.D., Sept. 2019-, Primary supervisor.
- Jiye Leng, Ph.D., Sept. 2020-, Primary supervisor..
Graduated Students Completion Date and Current Information
- Weimin Ju, Ph.D. 10/2006; PDF, U of T., 10/2006-04/2007; Professor, Nanjing University, 04/2007
- Ian Caldwell, M.A., 04/2006; Research Associate, Stockholm Environmental Institute
- Lisa Zhang, Ph.D., 04/2007; NSERC PDF, York University, 05/2007; NSERC PDF, Agriculture Canada, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, 05/2009-2010; Assistant Professor, Delta State University, USA, 2010-now
- Oliver Sonnentag, Ph.D., 03/2008; PDF, University of California at Berkeley, 04/2008-2010; PDF, Harvard University, 2010-2011; Assistant Professor, University of Quebec at Montreal.
- Ajit Goind, Ph.D., 03/2008; PDF, Oregon State University, 05/2008-2009; Research Scientist, INRA, France..
- Anita Simic, Ph.D., 09/2009; PDF/sectional lecturer, University of Toronto, 09/2009-now; PDF, INRA, France, 02/2011-2012; Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Victoria, 2012-2013.
- Jan Pisek, Ph.D., 09/2009; Senior Research Scientist, Estonia, 09/2009-now
- Beiping Zhang, M.Sc.; Technical staff, Hydro-one
- Feng Deng, Ph.D., 01/2011; PDF, Department of Physics, University of Toronto, 01/2011-now
- Peter Czurylowizs, M.Sc. 04/2012. Consultant, Election Canada. 04/2012-now
- Jonathan Fung, M.Sc. 09/2012. Staff member of a not-for-profit organization
- Ze Wang, M.Sc. 03/2014. Technical staff, Hydro 1, Ontario.
- Joyce Arabian, M.Sc., 09/2015. Technical staff, Wildlife Canada.
- Parastoo Hosseinibenhangi, M.Sc., 01/2016, Ph.D. student.
- Rong Wang, Ph.D., 09/2017. Assistant Professor, Fujian Normal University.
- Ting Zheng, Ph.D., 09/2017. Postdoctoral fellow, University of Wisconsin at Madison.
- Remi Luo, Ph.D., 01/2019. Assistant Professor, Singapore National University.
- Yihong Liu, M.Sc., 09/2019, Ph.D. student, University of Toronto.
- Jiye Leng, M.Sc., 09/2020, Ph.D. student, University of Toronto.
Postdoctoral Fellows Supervised and Current Information
- Xiaoyuan Geng, 1998-2000; Physical Scientist, Agricultural
and Agrifood Canada
- Peter White, 1999-2000; Research Scientist, Canada Centre
for Remote Sensing
- Mingzhen Chen, 2001-2005; Software engineer, Leica Geosystem
(former ERDAS), USA
- Xiaoyong Chen, 2001-2003; Associate Professor, Governors
State University, USA
- Park Kyunghun, 2004; Assistant Professor, Changwon National
- Jinxun Liu, 2003-2005; Research Associate, US Geological
- Baozhang Chen, 2001-2006; Research Scientist, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
- Mustapha El Maayar, 2004-2005; 2005-2009, Research Associate, U of T. Research Scientist, Cyprus National Research Institute
- Misa Ishizawa, 2005-2007; Research Scientist
- Weimin Ju, 2006-2007; Professor, Nanjing University,
- Francis Canisius, 2005-2006; Visiting fellow, Canada
Centre for Remote Sensing, Canada
- Karl Menges, 2004-2005; unknown
- Xingguo Mo, 2007; Senior Research Scientist, Institute
of Geographical Sciences and Natural Resources Research,
- Nobuhiko Kadazawa, 2007-2009; Senior scientist, Japan
Mitsubishi Material and Natural Resources Development Corporation
- Michael Sprintsin, 2008-2011; Research Scientist, Isreal
- Liming He, 2008-2015; Research associate, University of Toronto
- Ray Nassar, 2007-2010, co-supervisor with Dylan Jones
- Alemu Gonsamo, 2010-now; continue
- Chaoyang Wu, 2010-2014; Senior Research Scientist, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Holly Croft, 2011-now; continue
- Michael Chang, 2012-2013; Consultant
- Fangmin Zhang, 2012-2015; Associate Professor at Nanjing U. of Information Science and Technology
- Bin Chen, 2013-2014; Research Assistant Professor, Nanjing University
- Shezhou Luo, 2016-2018, Professor, Fujian Agricultural and Forestry University
- Martin van Leuween, 2014-2014, Postdoctoral fellow, Wisconsin University at Madison
- Rong Wang, 2018-2020; Assistant Professor, Fujian Normal University
- Taifeng Dong, 2019-2020, postdoctoral fellow, Nipissing University
- Gabriel de Oliveira, 2020-now
Other Contributions to Training
1, Currently on graduate committees for
- Evan Seed, Ph.D., Vegetation remote sensing, U of Carleton, 2008-now
- Cameron Proctor, Ph.D., wetland methane emission, UTM, 2011-now
- Kira Borden, Ph.D., Agro-forestry, UTSC, 2013-now
- Bing Lu, Ph.D., Grassland remote sensing, UTM, 2013-now
- Md Abdul Halim, Forest disturbance and carbon cycle, Faculty of Forestry, U of T, 2014-now
- Anna Soleski, Geomorphology of rivers, Earth Science
Department, U of T., 2016-now
- Eunji Byun, Ph.D., Paleo-vegetation reconstruction, Earth
Science Department, U of T., 2016-now
- Phuong Dao, High-resolution remote sensing, UTM, 2017-now
- Alexis Robinson, Remote sensing of lake ice, UTM, 2017-now
2, Previously on advisory committees for more than 10 graduate
students at UBC and University of Ottawa (OU). The recent
- Tarmo Remmel, Ph.D., Spatial analysis, U of T. 2000-2005
- Erica Pinto, M.Sc., Paleoclimate and Amazon vegetation,
U of T., 2004-2006
- Hamish Asmath, M.Sc. Lidar application to forestry, U
of T. 2005-2006
- Rasim Latifovic, Ph.D., Oilsand mining environmental
assessment, Laval U., 2001-2005
- Yuanying Peng, Ph.D., Forest ecology, Forestry Faculty,
U of T, 2001-2007
- Evan Seed, Ph.D., remote sensing forest structure, Carleton
- Adam Fenech, Ph.D., Climate change and integrated assessment,
U of T, 2003-2006
- Mike Lackner, M.Sc. High-resolution urban landcover mapping,
U of T. 2005-2006
- Inian Moorthy, Ph.D., Hyperspectral remote sensing of
forests, York U., 2004-2008
- Gastavo Gomez, M.Sc., GIS and spatial analysis, Ryerson
- Liz Nelson, Ph.D., Tree ring and forest growth, Forestry
Faculty, U of T., 2007-2010
- Murray Richerson, Ph.D. Hydrology and mercury contamination,
- Namrata Shrestha, Ph.D., Exurban disturbance, UTM. 2005-2012
- Bin Chen, Ph.D., Regional carbon cycle modeling, McMaster U., 2008-2012
- Jon Schurman, Ph.D., Forest ecology and carbon cycle, Forestry Faculty, U of T, 2010-2012
- Benjamin Filewod, M.Sc., Early spring heatwave impact on Ontario sugar maple forests, Forestry Faculty, U of T., 2010-2011
- Suo Huang, Ph.D., Coupling of nitrogen and carbon cycle, McMaster U., 2010-2014
- Amy Mui, Ph.D., Remote sensing of turtle habitats, UTM, 2011-2015
- Maara Packalen, Ph.D., Peatland paleoecology and carbon cycle, U of T, 2011-2015
3, External examiner/examiner at Arms-length (* indicate in geographically related unit)
- Peter White (Ph.D., Remote sensing, York University, 1998)
- Rebecca Hancock (Ph.D., Remote sensing applications, U of T., 2000)*
- Andrew Davidson (Ph.D., Grassland productivity and diversity, U of T., 2002)*
- Scott Mitchell (Ph.D., Grassland productivity, U of T., 2003)*
- Ken Stadt (Ph.D., Forest radiation modeling, U of Alberta, 2003)
- Zuzu Gadalah (Ph.D., Snow Geese Habitat, U of T., 2004)
- Greg Malczewski (M.Sc., Forest productivity, U of T., 2004)
- Tarmo Remmel (Ph.D., Spatial analysis, U of T., 2005)*
- Rasim Latifovic (Ph.D., Oilsand mining environmental assessment, Laval U., 2005)
- Oksana Kutna (M.Sc., Hybrid change detection in urban landscape, Ryerson U., 2005)*
- Erica Pinto (M.Sc., Paleoclimate and Amazon vegetation, U of T., 2006)*
- Hamish Asmath (M.Sc. Lidar application to forestry, U of T., 2006)*
- Rebeca Quinonez-Pinon (Ph.D., Forest transpiration estimation, U of Calgary, 2006)
- Yuanying Peng (Ph.D., Forest ecology, U of T., 2007)
- Chermalee Sandayake (M.Sc., GIS modeling, U of T., 2007)*
- Karin Scott (M.Sc., Remote sensing of glaciers albedo, U of T., 2007)*
- Linhai Jing (Ph.D., Fusion of remote sensing images, York U., 2008)*
- Guangyu Wang (Ph.D., Watershed management, UBC, 2009)
- Catherine Myans (M.Sc., Green roof technologies, U of T., 2009)*
- Yong Li (Ph.D., Image segmentation, Waterloo U., 2009)*
- Alemu Gonsamo Gosa (Ph.D., Remote sensing of LAI, U of Helsinki, Finland, 2009)*
- Namrata Shrestha (Ph.D., Exurban disturbance, UTM, 2012)*
- Bin Chen (Ph.D., Boreal carbon cycle, U McMaster, 2012)*
- James Thyer (M.Sc., Fluvial geomorphology, U of T, 2012)*
- Ming-Fang Zhang (Ph.D., Forest disturbance and hydrology, UBC at Okanagan, 2013)
- Xiuquan Wang (Ph.D., Downscaling of climate variables, U. Regina, 2015)*
- Xiaoyong Xu (Ph.D., Assimilating soil moisture data in a hydrological model, Waterloo U., 2015)*
- David Richardson (Ph.D. Integration of solar photovoltaic energy into the Ontario grid, U of T., 2015)*
- Amy Mui (Ph.D., Remote sensing of turtle habitats, U of T., 2015)*
- Larissa Sage (Ph.D., Forest management and carbon cycle, U of T., 2015)
- Dong Li (Ph.D., Remote sensing of leaf chlorophyll content of crops, 2021)